Donphan, the Armor Pokémon. With its strong tusks and tough skin, Donphan is known for its powerful Tackle attack. The length of Donphan’s tusks indicates its level.
It is rare to find Donphan in the wild, and hatching Phanpy is also rather challenging. Phanpy hatches from 5km eggs, and even tho his hatch rate is common, the list of potential 5KM hatches is huge, making it rather hard to obtain.
Donphan has high Max CP and good stats, a wide specter of movesets which makes this elephant-like Pokémon quite useful in the current meta. He is good in Gym Defense, but has even better usage as attacker. Of course, his role is heavily dependant on his moveset.
Do not forget that Donphan has access to FAIRY type movesets.
Best Donphan movesets
|Gym offense||Tackle NORMAL||Play Rough FAIRY|
|Gym defense||Counter FIGHTING||Earthquake GROUND|
|PvP (speculative)||Counter FIGHTING||Play Rough FAIRY|
Donphan Counters in Pokémon GO
Unfortunately for Donphan, the current meta heavily favours WATER Pokémon. Its’ HP is OK, but it always feels like it needs more, mostly because when it comes to Gym defense, almost any WATERtype will crush Donphan.
Ground type is also vulnerable against GRASS and ICE, making Donphan actually very easy to counter. However, if Attackers fail to take him in consideration when setting up their team, he can be a huge problem.
A fairly common scenario when Donphan comes out on top is the following:
- You enter the battle and make your way up to Donphan (since he is high CP he would most likely be positioned high in gym list)
- You lose your Vaporeon and Scizor in fights before.
- Your Dragonite or Tyranitar (or almost any other pokemon that is not a direct counter) will have a really hard time taking it down
Donphan movesets explanation
- the best Defending moveset, since it has highest damage and with it Donphan shines over all other Rock, Steel and Dark type defenders and most normal types (even has a chance against Blissey!)
- extremely good against Tyranitar since both FIGHTING and FAIRY do x2 damage to Dark
- considered the best attacking moveset against anything that is not FIRE or a scary Steelix. Tackle is one of the fastest quick moves ingame (0.5 sec), which enables you to easily dodge most attacks. Play Rough FAIRY cuts both Tyranitar and Dragonite with such ease, that Donphan with this moveset can take few of them in a row before going down.
Move Type Power DPS STAB DPS
Counter FIGHTING EarthquakeGROUND 12/120 23.30 27.50
Tackle NORMAL EarthquakeGROUND 5/120 21.65 25.85
Counter FIGHTING Heavy slamSTEEL 12/70 23.30 23.30
Counter FIGHTING Play roughFAIRY 12/90 22.15 22.15
Tackle NORMAL Heavy slamSTEEL 5/70 21.65 21.65
Tackle NORMAL Play roughFAIRY 5/90 20.50 20.50